Sunday, September 28, 2008

Way Making

Original Post: Tuesday, July 08, 2008

There are zillions of things that I love about being a mom. Little feet and little hands. Little smiles and little giggles. Lots of hugs. Hearing my babies say “PEEZ!” after I’d almost given up on them ever understanding the meaning of manners. But one of my most favorite things has to be the way God uses motherhood to teach me things about His character. Last week brought one of those lessons and it was so smack-me-upside-the-head-blatant that I giggled about God and His way of doing things for the rest of the day.

The kids’ booster seats are set up on two kitchen chairs that sit against the wall of our dining room. Usually these chairs stay put, but sometimes, like when I need to vacuum up the aftermath of our daily lunchtime explosion, I push them back so they end up making a barrier between the dining room table and the wall. Last week, this barrier was in the way of my sweet little boy as he tried to reach his sippy cup. As some of you know, my son is a Tonka truck. He is strong and tough. If something is in his way, he will move it. If something isn’t working for him, he will make it work (which usually means breaking it, yelling UH-OH!, and then playing with it the way he originally intended). So, when Asher encountered this barricade of wood and green and white striped fabric, rather than go back the other, completely unobstructed way around the table, and despite my warnings to cease and desist, he proceeded to push against the chairs with all his might. However, instead of the chairs gliding gracefully aside and opening a path for his highness, they tipped over with a loud clatter, scaring Asher to tears.

With a knowing shake of my head I scooped him up and held him, knowing that he hadn’t been hurt, and I smirked at his insistent stubbornness. I whispered comfort into his jelly-crusted hair and kissed his tear-streaked face. Then I looked at him and said, “Honey, Mommy told you not to push on the chairs. I told you to wait for me and I would make a way for you because I knew that if you tried to make a way for yourself you’d get hurt or scared...”

Oh.

Even as the words left my mouth, I was humbled and floored as memories scuttled through my mind of those very words being spoken to me by my gracious and loving Lord time and time again. And I continued to reflect on those words long after Asher was set back down and had resumed his usual mayhem.

I think I have always imagined God saying those words with a finger shake, scolding me. “I TOLD you to wait for me!” But that brief incident with my son made me wonder how many times God’s heart for me has looked more like mine did for my child—full of love and patience with just a hint of amusement at that persistent quest for independence. And I smiled, because I’m pretty sure that’s what God’s heart usually looks like for me. After all, I’m His kid. And while He may get upset with my sin or my resolve to do things my own way, He never gets flustered and He certainly never wavers in His love for me. And His way always is better. I've learned that lesson more times than I'd like to admit. My king does, in fact, know what's best for me. Just like He said.

And I am so unbearably thankful. For God. For His unwavering love. And for my children that teach me new dynamics of that love every day. God is so good and my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude and love for Him. I hope you know His love, too, because it’s great. Both in the amazing sense of the word and the vast sense. I know that probably sounds a little cheesy, but it’s true, so I don’t care.

Hope you’re all having a blessed week.

~erika

No comments: