Monday, September 8, 2008

Donna Reed's Got Nothing On Me

Original Post: Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A staple in our house when I was younger was Nick at Nite. We loved all those old black and white shows that evoked made-up memories of simpler times. Among my personal favorites were Mr. Ed, The Patti Duke Show, and The Donna Reed Show. I think I was drawn to Donna Reed because my mother loved her so much. Every time the opening credits came on, my mom would narrate and say things like, "What a woman!" and "I want to be just like Donna." She even asked for a Donna Reed watch one birthday (which I don't think she actually got). But my mom could never quite seem to pull off the skirt, heels and apron. This fact was a mystery to me. Good old Donna made it look so easy. I just assumed she was either an ethereal being who didn't require sleep or else her refridgerator had magical powers and made lunches and pies all by itself in the night. The Donna Reed Show did an excellent job of disguising the behind-the-scenes Donna. We never saw her covered in flour, or cussing out her oven for burning the apple crisp, or being ticked at Dr. Stone for leaving his socks on the floor...again. Oh no, Donna was the quintessential house wife. The wife all women wanted to be (notice the past tense!).

Now that I'm a wife and mom and about to own my own house I find that I still strive for some of Ms. Reed's perfection. Despite the fact that I realize that being just like her is merely a pipe dream, I am still enchanted with the idea of house wife "perfection" (whatever that even means). Am I enchanted enough to get up at 4:30 a.m., get ready and stand in the kitchen looking radiant while displaying a four-course breakfast steaming on the table by the time Adam gets up for work? Absolutely not. But I am enchanted enough to make sure that I kiss my husband when he leaves and comes home from work. Enough to pick up his dirty clothes and keep the laundry done. Enough to keep my house as clean as possible. Enough to do all those little things that make a house a home. And although there a more than a few things that hinder me from perfection, I truly believe that my precious Lord and King knows my heart in this area and blesses me with the energy and willingness to attempt excellence at home.

Believe me, I often fail. There are many Sunday nights that I am scrambling to get Adam's work clothes washed because I was too lazy or busy to do them earlier in the weekend. There are many days where my children eat peanut butter and jelly for more than one meal because I forgot to go to the grocery store. But, by the grace of God, I press on. And the Lord has faithfully blessed my efforts. He has changed my heart from an attitude of grumbling compliance to what I thought a house wife should be (i.e. picking up Adam's nasty work socks is not a favorite pasttime) to an attitude of excitement and pleasure to serve both my husband and my Lord in all things (even the sock thing).

And yesterday, God gave me a very special gift. A gift that, had I received it a year ago, would most likely have been met with grumbling and annoyance. But, because the Lord has changed my heart so radically, I found myself being overjoyed at what He blessed me with.... A brand new washer and dryer!!! (In my head, that sounded a lot like Bob Barker.) The house that we are buying has a washer and dryer. However, they are shoddy at best. The front and side panels fall off the washer in a very cartoonish way every time it moves and I'm fairly certain that the dryer is the first electric dryer ever made. I was content with these and thankful that we didn't have to buy any appliances for the house (Adam's parents got new appliances and gave us their fridge and oven), but I still wasn't really looking forward to having to pray over my washer to hold it together every time I did a load. Then, in the span of a few weeks, we were blessed with a large sum of money we weren't expecting and an opportunity to buy this washer and dryer, brand new, from a builder that Adam works with for a significant amount less than what they are worth. I am SO excited! Adam and I even watched the DVD that came with the combo last night. (Yes, we are that nerdy.)

God is SO good to me. I am so blessed to have such a tender Lord who knows the desires of my heart and delights in me the way He does. I just have to thank and praise Him for knowing me so well. For knowing what I need both spiritually and physically. And for sprinkling blessings amidst the lessons and trials of this journey of my life.

Eat your heart out, Donna....

No comments: