Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sing It Psalty

Original Post: Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Today has been one of those days. The kind where, at 10:00 AM, you're already wishing you hadn't gotten out of bed. My morning started out pretty routine. My kids slept in a little bit, hence I slept in a little bit, and we all woke up seemingly happy and ready to face our day. Breakfast was normal. Oatmeal and chopped bananas for Addison and Asher. An IV of coffee for me. The after-breakfast routine was normal, too. Like usual, I flipped on the TV after washing the kids up and pulling out some toys. We usually watch the Mickey Mouse Club and My Friend Tigger and Pooh for some visual stimulation in the morning before turning off the TV and playing with toys and listening to music.

And then, not only did the day take a turn for the worse, it skidded to a screeching halt, threw it in reverse and started driving the opposite direction.

At first, I didn't think much of it when Addison attached herself to my leg and refused to let go until I picked her up. That's been a fairly regular occurence these days. So, up she went and I carried on with whatever I was doing...most likely attempting to keep Asher from plunging to his doom from the arm of the couch. The juicy belching sound didn't register in my ears until I felt the warm goo seeping through my shirt and smelled the sickly sweet scent of regurgitated banana. I knew, and dreaded, what I'd see when I looked down at Addison. There was my little girl vomitting all over both of us looking up at me with that sad and helpless little look that pleads with you to make it stop.

After a moment of heartbreak for my miserable daughter and her involuntarily convulsing stomach, I went into uber-mom mode. We rushed to the kitchen sink to let Addison finish up, then clothes were flying and being rinsed off, hands were being washed, a quick dash to the bedrooms was made for clean clothes and in no time we were both cleaned up and cuddling on the couch.

That wasn't so bad, I thought to myself. But then...another burp. I shot a look down at Addison, now sitting on my lap, and she was squinting up at me with that same queasy look. That help me, Mom, here it comes look. It was too late to make it too the sink or toilet and in moments we were both covered...again. I decided a bath was in order. So, after dumping our clothes on top of the growing pile in the sink I went to run a bath, much to Addison's dismay. I threw placed her gently into the tub and tried to wash her off as quickly as possible.

Amidst all this chaos, I had momentarily forgotten about my dear, sweet Asher. And his love affair with the bath tub. Before I knew it he had chucked his bunny (or, for those of you who know him, the growth that has permanently attached itself to his hand) into the tub and was taking a running leap, Baywatch style, over the side, fully clothed, apparently on a rescue mission. I threw my arm out to stop him, thinking it was sort of a soccer mom protective move. It ended up as more of a WWE clothesline move. And now I had 2 screaming children on my hands. One, irate because she was wet. The other, irate because he was not.

The next half hour or so consisted of running around getting juice, putting clothes on both my daughter and me, switching laundry around to make room for the puky clothes pile in the washer and general appeasement of two wailing children. And to add to the excitement I slammed a door on my finger.

Needless to say...it was not my morning. Thankfully, my children decided to take a long morning nap and I had a large chunk of time to get into the Word and study Psalm 121. In this passage, the psalmist calls God our keeper and protector and reminds us that He never sleeps or slumbers, but is always with us. It was exactly what I needed to hear and I went away from my time with the Lord thanking Him for His love for me and constant presence in my life.

Later, after lunch, the kids and I were listening to a Psalty tape (remember Psalty?!) and I was again struck at how much God loves me and how I can only and ever find my strength in Him. A particular song asserts the message of Zechariah 4:6b, "'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord Almighty." As I listened to this song, the mightiness of God swept over me afresh. I sat on my couch crying with my heart raised in adoration to my amazing God, even as my children laughed and screamed and stole toys from each other.

God is so good to us. He is teaching me that in a new and wonderful way. I felt so blessed and humbled today when I realized that God doesn't just tell me something and expect me to remember and be perfect at it. Rather, the Maker of heaven and earth is training me. He is teaching me and then reminding me of the lessons He's taught, affirming them. I wanted to share that amazing revelation that I've always known in my head, but has finally made its way to my heart.

And in case you're wondering. The Psalty tape was Sing-along-athon Maranatha-marathon Hallelujah Jubilee. And here are the lyrics to the song:

(Chorus:)
It's not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit.
It's not by might, nor by power, sayeth the Lord.
(Verse 1:)
We'd like to think that we can handle problems on our own.
We buckle down, apply the steam, work our hands down to the bone.
But when we've gone around in circles and there's no place left to turn,
The Lord reminds us quietly, There's a lesson to be learned.
(Chorus)
(Verse 2:)
We try and try in our own strength to make things come out right.
We think and plan and orgainze and try with all our might.
But when we've finally reached the bottom, the end of all our rope,
The Lord reminds us, once again, In Me you'll find your hope.
(Chorus)

2 comments:

Tom said...

Hey! My kid's choir sang this song! It's such a great song.

Thanks for sharing it!

Betsy said...

I happened across your blog searching for the lyrics to this song to share with my cousin! Even now that I'm 30, it's still one of my favorite go-to songs when I feel overwhelmed. Good reminder!